Thursday, May 13, 2010

The ultimate dog lover's holiday

Rather like Jerome K Jerome, I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. One result of this is that I never take a proper holiday. A few days here, a few days there, but never more than 48 hours without some work by my side. This does not stop me, however, from planning trips of every conceivable length and nature. At the moment I am obsessed with the idea of signing up for one of the dog training holidays organised by Philippa Williams' Dogs for Life. Phillipa has been running these events for over 16 years and she seems to have hit on a perfect formula: really fantastic, rural locations...plenty of space...positively luxurious accommodation...delicious food...and days packed with dog training and dog walks. Let me give you a couple of examples. In June she has organised two six day gundog training holidays on the Novar Estate in Scotland. There's one for novices and one for advanced. In July there is an Activity Week including Agility training to be held at Riverdale Hall Hotel in Northumberland. The prices are jolly reasonable, too. If you spend £20 joining Dogs for Life then a whole week starts at £570 and even the most expensive 6 day break for everything (en suite bedroom, three meals a day, all training but not drinks) is only £850. Speaking of training Philippa has demonstrated at Crufts for the last six years. Need I say more? Of course, I may be convinced but I still have to talk on of my so-called working dogs into it. Honey? Darling?


No comments:

Post a Comment