Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Why dogs bite people II


An interesting discussion this evening with a dog behaviourist who was explaining to me that domesticated dogs are being kept in a state of permanent puppyhood. In the wild they would lead a very different life. Instead of being taken from their mothers they would, at the appropriate moment, be pushed away. They would be taught how to fend for themselves and, in particular, how to capture prey. In due course they would have to fight for/find their place in the pack. Also, they would receive very little petting and love. I half knew all this but it was good to be reminded. Meanwhile, I must thank everyone who has been sending me 'why dogs bite people' photos. I have spent a happy ten minutes wondering what sort of conversation took place in the home where these poor dachshunds were photographed. 'Dearest, I have had a brilliant idea.' 'Really?' 'Yes, let's buy five banana suits and dress up Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch.' 'Genius, but I don't think Titch will go for it.' 'No, perhaps you are right. I'll only get four.' 'They are going to be so happy.' Evidence that domesticated humans, like domesticated dogs, are also being kept in an equivalent state.


No comments:

Post a Comment